|| PREVIEW || The Otterman Empire (PC)


Developed By : Tri-Heart Interactive              Published By : Tri-Heart Interactive
Category : Third Person Shooter, Action, Local Multiplayer
Release Date : Early 2020

For as long as...well forever, I have been a huge fan of all things punny. Not even just puns, but things of an easter egg variety, I go nuts for. With the vast amount of things that I have watched, read, listened to and played, I'm always on the prowl for little inside jokes and references to other works. But sometimes, just sometimes, the beauty of those puns is thrust right into your face, and such is the case with this game here : The Otterman Empire.

As of now the game isn't out yet, but Tri-Heart Interactive was awesome enough to let me get my hands on the demo. And let me tell you, it was a lot of fun. The demo was a very limited experience of what the full game is going to be allowing you to sample a single and multiplayer level after going through the tutorial area.

The tutorial section is very small, and as you would expect it teaches you the things you can do with your otter. You're equipped with a water-filled jetpack that can send you soaring into the sky, as well as a gun for some pew-pew action up in the sky or down on the ground, and a dash maneuver. This latter can assist you both in combat and some of the platforming you'll encounter in the levels.

Once you're unleashed into the playable level, this is where the real fun begins. The narrative focuses on an evil otter, Tiko, and his crazy experiments that threaten to take over the entire galaxy. So naturally, these experiments are what you'll be fighting as you aim to stop Tiko in his tracks. For the sake of this one playable level, the experiments in question are drones, but I imagine once the game gets a full release there will be much more sinister things to face off against.

The level, named Squiditch, situates a few portal rings above the map. Tiko's minions are being sent through these portals to attack, so you clearly need to stop them. To do this, you'll need to pick up a number of the bombs that are scattered around and carry them up to one of the portals. You have a few minutes to complete the objective, and you need to deal with all of the drones and turrets scattered about while you try and destroy the portals.

As soon as the level started, the action was going almost immediately. You can instantly see the tiny drones that are shooting through the air, and a few turrets on top of buildings. I constantly felt like I was in danger, and that there was no safe place for me to cool off. Either the drones were always zooming after me or I was in the sights of at least a turret or two, if not more. And let's not talk about the giant beams of light that come swooping across the stage hoping to swat you down like a bad bug.

One thing is for certain, the demo for The Otterman Empire left me wanting more. Promising to be a quick-fire party shooter, this game is definitely looking like it will bring some intense action whether you play it solo or with a friend or three. There are solo and co-op campaigns that you can play through, as well as a 4-player mode to battle it out and show your buddies who the best Otter is.

I want to thank Tri-Heart Interactive for giving me the chance to check this game out in it's early stages (despite the technical issues I had with streaming it) I had a lot of fun with it and I know at least a few members of my community enjoyed watching it. The demo also teased an extensive amount of customizations for your otter, swapping out everything from your helmet to the color scheme of your outfit." Early 2020" can't come fast enough, but I am definitely looking forward to taking down Tiko and his wicked ways as soon as I can!

Popular Posts