|| PREVIEW || Radical Rabbit Stew (PC, PS4, XB1, NS)

Radical Rabbit Stew
Developed By : Pugstorm                 Published By : Sold Out Ltd
Release : 2020

 

Game Preview

This year, I was able to attend the PAX East event for the first time, after having wanted to go for the last couple of years. The event as a whole was more than a treat, and while I wish I could have stayed longer, I'm already waiting to attend next year! 

While there, I was able to get my hands on a few demos for games to-be-released, and one of those games is the one I'm about to tell you about here : Radical Rabbit Stew. One cool bonus of getting to play the demo for this game was the fact that I was actually able to get to meet the developer of the game. He gave me a short and sweet introduction into the game by telling me what I was about to do : go into space and use a spoon to whack a bunch of rabbits into stew pots and cook them! 

Just off the description, this game already had it's hooks in me. As soon as my hands were on the game itself, the hooks dug in deeper. Radical Rabbit Stew is a really unique puzzle game in which you bounce around in space, trying to rescue your fellow chef's from the infestation of crazy rabbits. Armed with just your trusty spoon, you'll be placed into levels where you'll need to whack these rabbits over the head and then send them flying into the nearest pan.

Solving the puzzles is just that simple, in theory at least. The rabbits themselves will be moving around freely, and if you get too close they can actually eat you so be weary of their teeth! One whack stops them momentarily, and let's you line up your shot. Whichever side you're standing on, the rabbits will continue on a straight line away from you until one of three things happens. They hit a wall and stop, they hit a spring and get redirected, or they land in the saucepan! Well...option four is them ending off getting sent on a neverending journey into space...but since we want to cook them, that doesn't help.

Playing this game felt great immediately. It was very clear what needed to be done and how you needed to do it. I had to force myself to stop playing after five levels, and stopping there was extremely difficult. The first few levels were very fun and served as a great introduction to the games mechanics of slapping rabbits at pots and bouncing them with springs. But, that fifth level where I stopped was really a taste of what the fully opened up game would be like, because all of a sudden I had four rabbits to deal with at once and I needed to actually map out where I was sending them flying.

I'd have to be completely honest though, the worst thing about this game is the fact that it isn't even slated to be released until 2020. That's right, at least another calendar year before we can get our hands on our trusty spoon and make some stew. One thing is for certain though, however long the wait is for this game it will be more than worth it. I loved the retro-feel of the graphics and music, and again the gameplay was just an instant hook for me.

Popular Posts