notmycar (PC)

 notmycar battle royale

Developed By : NMC Studios  Published By : Skybound Games
Category : Online, Battle Royale, Vehicle Combat
Release Date : April 5, 2019 (Early Access)

It feels weird setting up this article, I'm not going to lie. Battle Royale games are...they're a rarity for me to be honest. I've dabbled with them a little bit, mostly due to the fact that I'm not that great to begin with at shooters. Even with practice and constant playing, it's just not something I'm that good at. So saying that I got excited about one felt about as weird as setting up this article did.

Yet, here we are. notmycar dropped on April 5th and I had heard about it the day before and instantly got excited. Vehicular combat battle royale...those four words brought me back to my childhood, and endless nights of playing Twisted Metal with my friends. I only hoped that getting my hands on the game itself would deliver on that nostalgia. And it sure did. 

It's a short and sweet mentality really, and it employs the basics of every other BR game that is out there. You gear up, select your mode (right now this only offers Training, Solo, and Squads) then drop into the game's massive map called Station 9 and watch it shrink as you hopefully come across your competition and waylay them.

As of right now, the game is pretty bare bones, but the developers have stated that they do intend to add on to it. Their plan is a six-month stint in early access before the 1.0 officially drops, which would give us the game's full release around the beginning of October. Will this be enough? Time will tell but based on my experience with the first 24 hours, these guys really have something here.

All of your customizable options follow suit with all the other popular BR's, and only offer visual enhancements. Nothing that affects the performance of the car itself or the weapons. The only ones so far are skins for the car body itself, and different options for the flag that hangs off the vehicles rear end. So it's good to know that everything you do or don't do will be based on your skill. Either get good, or become a heaping pile of metal.

I've gotten to successfully drop into and complete a handful of matches. Granted there have been some connectivity issues, but this just released and it's also early access so it's not going to be perfect, nor is it intended to be. The matches I've gotten to participate in have been really great, and that's factoring in that I just flat out am not good at battle royale's.
Everything you need is down on the ground. You'll be able to pick up main weapons that mount to the top of your vehicle, ranging from shotguns, machine guns, rocket and grenade launchers, and even a rail gun. Two of these can be carried at a time, and switching between them will take a couple of seconds so keep this in mind in the heat of battle. One thing I did notice that was different from the other BR's I've played, is I wasn't picking up individual ammo. So, it appears that just picking up the weapon itself will suffice, and you'll be supplied with an unlimited amount for that weapon.

Also down on the ground are armor pieces, specific to a number of different pieces of your vehicle. I noticed I was picking up armor for the wheels, for the hood, the body as a whole. These, like the weapons listed above, come in colored tiers which increases their rating and effectiveness. The colors I'd noticed were plain white, green, blue, and purple. On first loading into the game, it did show a little section displaying all of the game's power tiers, but I didn't come across anything else on the map itself so I've just assumed that they're hidden in harder to reach places to help justify their more advanced ranking.

The last things you can pick up for your battle are secondary weapons like proximity mines, health packs to heal yourself (which you can also stop at one of the on-map gas stations and heal within a little cone there which I thought was pretty cool). You can find barriers that are droppable giving you a bit of a defense buffer for those precious few moments you might need to heal or reload. There's even attachments for your weapons, just be weary that picking these up automatically attaches them to whatever weapon is equipped.
For right now, I don't want to put an official stamp on this game. Right now this is merely a reaction after the first 24 hours. As it stands notmycar is a ton of fun and really addicting to play. However it's only taken it's first step. Hopefully the first of many, but only time can tell. One thing that will be a good judge for this game is after April 12th when they slap a price onto the Early Access version of the game. Until then though, this game is absolutely free to play so the only thing you'll lose is time. Download it, check it out, and let me know your thoughts in the comments or on social media.

Popular Posts