UPDATE : Old Content and New

Over the past number of months, things have changed a bit on here. I took some time off to focus on my wedding, and then shortly after I came back in full swing I joined The Switch Effect, and a bit has changed not only in the content I put out on here but the frequency of it as well. So I just wanted to take a minute and break down the content I provide and a rough estimate of how often it will be appearing on here.

Value Reviews :This is what started this whole blog, the Full and Quick Reviews where I play something on an older generation, let the game present itself and then give my opinion on whether or not it's worth it's value on the gaming market. These will always be a part of this blog no matter what. I've taken a bit of time off of them now due to joining The Switch Effect but they will be coming back before the end of this year (I already have my first couple of games planned for them). Ideally I would like to essentially get one of these out each week, alternating a Full Review one week followed by Quick the next.

PS3 Highlights : You all know by now that I'm building up a massive PS3 library. To make sure it doesn't all just go to waste I started this series where I go through each month's of releases and do small blurbs about each game that was put out in that month and pick out which ones I think are still worth playing to this day. My plan for these is once per month, but I would like to get into a position where it corresponds to whichever month I'm covering, so January 2018, I would post a Highlights covering the releases of January from whichever year I'm on. My next month of coverage in this series is for June so I'm on the exact opposite end of the calendar and need to determine if I want to try and bang a lot of these out to catch up, or space them out a bit over time and let things catch up that way. I may choose the speed-up route because it's June of 2007 that I have to do next, so if I catch up, these posts can be a "10 Years Later" type of deal.


Life of a Gaming Dad : These posts are definitely going to slow down and possibly stop all together. This series began as a way of covering how I run the blog/streams while being a part of my son growing up but honestly, it just hasn't been that difficult. I feel like this series would have more strength to them if I was doing so with multiple children in an infant stage, or going through things as a single parent, but I'm part of a team with my wife and we make one hell of a team. So there haven't been any real hurdles with keeping everything balanced. However, as he builds up his curiosity for the games themselves, this series will definitely get revitalized. He's already picking up controllers and playing with the buttons (No matter what controller I hand him he knows which button turns things on). Everything has been going perfectly with Leon and I noticed that these posts were already becoming repetitive, so that's why they have stopped for now.

Honest Opinion : This series became the most confusing on here I felt. It started off as purely Opinion pieces and then they became reviews and just...it became too many things. These are reverting back to purely opinion pieces with an unscheduled/unplanned timeframe on when they will occur. If I see something that I want to throw my two cents at then there will be an Opinion piece. Otherwise, you won't see much of these.

New Content Reviews : These posts will are going to be the review offshoot of what Honest Opinion's started becoming. Focusing on the most recent generation of consoles (Xbox One, Playstation 4, Nintendo Switch) and PC games as well (possibly even mobile apps), these are just going to be straight up reviews of the games, complete with an X/10 rating. These won't be broken down as definitively as the Value Reviews will be, instead I'll just talk about the game as a whole and give it my rating.

Indie One Shots :  Much like above, these reviews will be a sort of "Quick Review" for newer games. A lot of indie titles are short and sweet with not a lot of depth, and not a lot to say about them. They're a very simple "Here's the game, here's what you do, here's what I think of it" so I wanted to give them their own dedicated section. Indie titles are a new love for me, something I didn't really explore until the last couple of years, and I'm really enjoying the ones I've been introduced to.

Franchise Focus : This is a brand new idea, and one that hasn't made it's first appearance on the site just yet. For this series I want to focus on a single franchise of games and just discuss what changes came with it, were they improvements? Did they take away from the game/series overall? These won't end up being "reviews" of the game, rather just presentations of them. I will probably include each games current value on the market for loose/CIB/sealed, but that will just be for information rather than "is it worth it?" The first post in each series will be a little bit closer to being a review, while each post afterwards will focus on changes in the series from game-to-game (so comparing installment 2 to installment 3 vs. comparing everything to the original game). For my first dive into this blog series I'll be covering Need For Speed. It will be a way for me to learn the ropes for my own idea, how quickly I want to pace the series, exactly how I want the posts to look/feel, and having it focus on a racing series will give the space to do so. Other series I would love to include in this eventually are things like Driver, Metal Gear Solid, Resident Evil, Silent Hill. The Franchise Focus posts, as well as the New Content Reviews and One Shots will be as I'm able to provide them. There may be multiple in a week, they may be slower.

As always I am more than open to suggestions from you guys. Ideas on specific games to review, an idea for a series you may have, anything and everything. Please feel free to email me at mbentonphotog@gmail.com if you do have any ideas, comments, or criticisms. And as usual, thank you all for your continued reading and support. <3

HG

Popular Posts