Rock 'n Racing Off Road DX (Nintendo Switch) Indie One Shot

 
In one of my last reviews, for Mantis Burn Racing, I mentioned my lifelong love for racing games. I also mentioned I'd grown up off playing Super Off Road in the arcades. Imagine my delight when I came across Rock 'n' Racing Off Road DX and found it was almost identical to the game I loved as a child.

The game itself is quite simple. There are a series of championship cups you can race in, and to unlock the later ones you need to win the previous ones.With each championship victory, you also unlock a new vehicle to drive in addition to the next cup races.

All the races take place on a varation of tracks with tight turns, jumps, and even crossover sections meaning being in the lead might not be the safest place on the track. The track is fixed on the screen, and you control your vehicle around it's corners. This is right out of the old days of top down racing, so for me I felt right at home as soon as I fired up the first race. 
Rock 'n' Racing's biggest downfalls may be the lack of customization for the vehicles. There are no upgrades, and no paint job options available at all. While it's not a game-breaking downfall, in reference to the paint jobs, it's a little disheartening to not be able to choose the color of your vehicle. Vehicle upgrades would also be nice, but the AI you race against is far from perfect and makes their fair share of mistakes in the races.

The game itself is great, and the tracks are highly enjoyable with their own share of challenges that come with the different vehicles. What ends up being a small jump with one vehicle may send you flying uncontrollably with another one. If you can get past not being able to upgrade or give yourself paint jobs, you will definitely have a lot of fun with Rock 'n' Racing Off Road DX, even moreso if you grew up playing top-down racers.

Rating : 6.5/10
Developed and Published by : EnjoyUp Games

Popular Posts