Ongoing Project

This post is just a little insight to something I working on for myself.

On Facebook, I'm a member in a number of retro gaming swap groups. These are for people to buy, sell, and trade retro games, as well as just discuss them. In these groups I've seen a couple of people posting updates on games they get in regards to achieving a full library for a console. At first, I was intrigued by this. I figured it would be pretty cool to be able to say "Hey, I have every single NES game they ever released". But then as I thought about it I started to shy away from the idea as the market for retro games is pretty high up there. So I tucked the idea away for a couple of months.

Then one day it came to my mind again and I put a bit more thought into it. It wasn't just that the retro market was through the roof, it was that I saw no personal draw towards getting every single NES or SNES game. But there was one console that did intrigue me : the PS3.

The Playstation 3 was the console that really got me into gaming. Before I had picked one up I was very passive about my gaming. (And if you ask anyone who knows me now they will find that extremely hard to believe). I only ever owned one console at a time and never more than a dozen games for each. My first gaming library that ever really grew was for the PS3. I kept finding myself with so many games that even after I had beaten them, I wouldn't want to part with them because they were just that good I'd want to go revisit everything at some point.

So, I decided to go for a modified complete PS3 library. Now, here is how I modified it.

1. I eliminated most sports games. When I say sports I mean the mainstream ones. I'm talking Madden games, the 2K series for NBA and MLB, those kinds of sports games. I didn't feel the need to own almost a dozen football games that are near carbon-copies of each other. The only exception for this was the EA Sports NHL series as I am a die hard hockey fan.
2. I eliminated the majority of anime games. I'm not a big anime fan to begin with, and a lot of the games are based on either shows or mangas that I have no interest in and most likely never would. So I wasn't going to fluff up my library with things that would just sit there. I wanted these games to actually play. There are still a few of these I will get because the stories behind them interest me, but I will not be going for all of them.
3. I eliminated Collections, HD re-releases, and games that saw release on the next gen PS4. For the Collections and HD re-releases, the reason I eliminated them is because I tend to like going for the originals. As for the games that saw a PS3 and PS4 release, the PS4 version would have the better graphics and more improved systems within the game.
4. Lastly, I eliminated music games and Call of Duty/Battlefield series. These were because at the time, I played these games online on Xbox 360 since a lot of my friends at the time had a 360 instead of a PS3, and I still have all of these games on 360, so I didn't see a reason for duplicating them to, again, just fluff my library count.

With all of that being said, I made a list of games that, when completed, will total 531. When I settled on this idea, I was at just under 100 games. I've now grown it 161. Still a ways to go, but it will be a slow work towards my goal. Below are two pictures showcasing what I currently own for this library, and I will update on this blog, as well as my Facebook and Instagram pages when I add to it. Also, and this should be pretty obvious, I'll be working towards playing and reviewing all of these games, even the ones I have previously played. So stay tuned for updates on the progress of this project.




Coming up on the blog, later today I will be posting another Quick Review, tomorrow is the completion of my review for Until Dawn, and I'll be hosting another round of voting on my Facebook page.

Popular Posts